Gorman-Gormania Road Covered Bridge
WORLD GUIDE #
||MD-11-01x & WV-12-01x
||North Branch Potomac River
Portals, Volume 4, Number 4, December 1965, a magazine issued by the Theodore Burr Covered Bridge Society of Pennsylvania listed Gorman-Gormania Road Covered Bridge as crossing the North Branch of the Potomac River. The bridge was built in 1837 by Lewis Wernwag.
In the book, "A New Guide to the Old Line State," by Earl Arnett:
U.S.50 east of the Blackbone Mountain crest at Table Rock follows the route of the Northwestern Turnpike to Gorman, 7.0m, where the turnpike crossed the Potomac on a covered bridge.
The bridge was burned on April 26, 1863 by the Confederate Army. From Susan Cooke Souderberg's book, "A Guide to Civil War Sites in Maryland.":
In the spring of 1863 Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee commanded Gen. John Imboden and Gen. William Jones to lead an expedition into western Virginia and western Maryland to destroy strategic railroad bridges in order to disrupt supply lines of the Union Army.
As a part of this "Great Raid" Confederate forces under Gen. Willams and Jones, Col. Asher V. Hartman, Maj. Ridgely Brown, and Capt. John Hanson McNeill left Harrisonburg, Virginia on April 20 and crossed the North Branch of the Potomac River at Gorman, Maryland (Rt. 50 & Rt. 560) on the morning of April 26, burning the bridges behind them.
The town of Gorman is in Maryland while the town on the south side of the Potomac River is Gormania, in West Virginia. At the time of the burning of the bridge Gormania was actually a part of Virginia. West Virginia became a state in June, 1863, breaking off from Virginia declaring itself a "northern state."