|Home||Existing Covered Bridges||Bygone Covered Bridges||Romantic Shelters||About Covered Bridges||Trusses||News||Links|
Please check back often as we will continuously add information and pictures while researching Maryland's Bygone Covered Bridges.
Maryland's Bygone Covered Bridges
More than 100 authentic Covered Bridges graced the State of Maryland over the past 200 years. Many date back to the early 1800s. The longest was Theodore Burr's Rock Run Bridge, a 4,170 foot, 18 span bridge crossing the Susquehanna River and one of the shortest was 29'-6" Reynold's Covered Bridge over Little Northeast Creek, about 1/4 mile south of Blueball in Cecil County.
Documentation is difficult for bygone bridges for conflicting information is abundant. Most of the information contained for Maryland's Bygone Covered Bridges is based on what was found at various Historical Societies in Maryland, newspaper articles and publications from Covered Bridge Societies. The World Guide Numbers shown for Bygone Bridges are assigned by the National Society for the Preservation of Covered Bridges.
Please check back often as we will continuously add information and pictures while researching Maryland's Bygone Covered Bridges.
Click on bridge "name" to view information and photo(s). Click on bridge "location/notes" to view MapQuest data.
|BRIDGE NAME||COUNTY||WORLD GUIDE #||CROSSES||TRUSS||SPANS||LENGTH||BUILT||GONE||LOCATION/NOTES|
|Wiley Ford or Old Canal||Allegany||MD-01-01x||Chesapeake & Ohio Canal||Burr Arch & Town||1||Unk||c1870s||Unk||South of Cumberland on road to Wiley Ford, West Virginia.|
|C&O Canal at North Branch||Allegany||MD-01-02x||Chesapeake & Ohio Canal||Unk||1||131'||1842||1861||West of North Branch, MD. B&O Railroad bridge. Burned by Confederate Soldiers, May 28, 1861.|
|North Branch or North Branch Potomac River||Allegany & Mineral (WV)||MD-01-04x & WV-29-01x||North Branch Potomac River||Unk||4||539'||1842||1857||North Branch, MD. B&O Railroad bridge. Replaced with iron bridge.|
|McCoole, Fink's, Potomac River, 21st Mile||Allegany & Mineral (WV)||MD-01-05x & WV-29-02x||North Branch Potomac River||Unk||2||312'||1851||1861||Keyser, WV & McCoole, MD. B&O Railroad bridge. Burned by Confederate Soldiers, June 19, 1861.||Oldtown||Allegany||MD-01-06x||Chesapeake & Ohio Canal||Burr Arch & Town||1||Unk||c1870s||1906||Oldtown, southeast of Cumberland.||Folck's Mill||Allegany||MD-01-07x||Evitts Creek||Unk||2||Unk||1818||c1894||Wolfe Mill, on Route 144 just south of I-68.|
|Bunker Hill #1||Baltimore||MD-03-01 #1x||Gunpowder Falls||Burr||1||110'||1880||1961||Near Hereford. Arsoned on November 17, 1961. Replaced with another covered bridge in 1963, arsoned in 1971.|
|Bunker Hill #2||Baltimore||MD-03-01 #2x||Gunpowder Falls||Burr||1||107'||1963||1971||Near Hereford. Arsoned on August 7, 1971. No replacement built.|
|Corbett Road or Monkton||Baltimore||MD-03-04x||Gunpowder Falls||Multiple Kingpost||1||117'-6"||1883||About 1945||Monkton/Corbett. Replaced with concrete bridge around 1945.|
|Cromwell or Old Cromwell||Baltimore||MD-03-05x||Gunpowder Falls||Burr||2||Unk||1877||1924||Loch Raven. Replaced with a concrete bridge.|
|Dogwood Road||Baltimore||MD-03-06x||Ben's Run||Burr||1||Approx 80'||Unk||1929||Hollofield area, near Hollofield & Dogwood Roads. Replaced with a concrete bridge.|
|Forge's or Old Forge's||Baltimore||MD-03-07x||Gunpowder Falls||Burr||1||150'||c1819||1920||North edge of White Marsh.|
|Franklintown||Baltimore||MD-03-08x||Dead Run Branch||Burr||1||Approx 78'||Unk||1928||Franklintown. Replaced with concrete bridge.|
|at Ellicott's Mills/City #1||Baltimore & Howard||MD-03-09 #1x & MD-13-06 #1x||Patapsco River||Unk||1||Unk||c1850||1866||Ellicott City. Lost in flood of 1866.|
|at Ellicott's Mills/City #2||Baltimore & Howard||MD-03-09 #2x & MD-13-06 #2x||Patapsco River||Unk||1||120'||1866||1868||Ellicott City. Lost in flood of 1868.|
|at Ellicott's Mills/City #3||Baltimore & Howard||MD-03-09 #3x & MD-13-06 #3x||Patapsco River||Howe||2||200'||1870||1914||Ellicott City. Lost in fire, June 7, 1914.|
|Elysville Upper||Baltimore & Howard||MD-03-10x & MD-13-05x||Patapsco River||Modified Queenpost||2||310'||1839||1853||Daniels, formerly Alberton and Elysville. West of Elysville Lower Bridge. Collapsed.|
|at Patapsco Mill||Baltimore & Howard||MD-03-11x & MD-13-03x||Patapsco River||Unk||Unk||Unk||1829/30||Unk||Ellicott City. Damaged in flood of July 24, 1868.|
|Jackson||Baltimore (City)||MD-03-12x||Baltimore-Washington Pike||Long||1||109'||1829||after 1863||Baltimore City, current Morrell Park area. Built for $1,670.|
|Elysville Lower||Baltimore & Howard||MD-03-13x & MD-13-04x||Patapsco River||Modified Queenpost||3||333'||1839||1856||Daniels, formerly Alberton and Elysville. East of Elysville Upper Bridge. Collapsed.|
|Canton or Harris Creek||Baltimore (City)||MD-03-14x||Harris Creek||Unk||1||117'||1837||1861||Canton area in southeast Baltimore City. Destroyed during Civil War, April 20, 1861.|
|Jerusalem||Baltimore & Harford||MD-03-15x & MD-12-07x||Little Gunpowder Falls||Burr||1||approx 90'||c1837||1929||Near Kingsville. Destroyed by flood.|
|Belvidere or Jones Falls||Baltimore (City)||MD-03-16x||Jones Falls||Modified Wernwag||1||175'-190'||1818-1820||1879-80||Baltimore City, near west edge of Greenmount Cemetery. At least partially removed 1879-80. Probably completely removed sometime between 1880 and 1887.|
|Monkton Mills||Baltimore||MD-03-17x||Gunpowder Falls||Unk||Unk||Unk||1836||Unk||Monkton. Built for $2,500|
|RR Bridge south of Monkton Mills||Baltimore||MD-03-18x||Gunpowder Falls||Unk||Unk||Unk||1854 or sooner||After 1861||South of Monkton on North Central Railway.|
|Meredith's Ford||Baltimore||MD-03-19x||Gunpowder Falls||Unk||Unk||Unk||c1880||1888||On Dulaney Valley Road before widening of Gunpowder Falls for Loch Raven Reservoir. Lost by fire.|
|Phoenix Mills||Baltimore||MD-03-20x||Gunpowder Falls||Unk||1||Unk||c1861||1921-22||Phoenix. Replaced in early 1920s with enlargement of Loch Raven Dam.|
|Paper Mill||Baltimore||MD-03-21x||Gunpowder Falls||Burr||2||189'||1866||About 1923||Northeast of Ashland. Replaced in early 1920s with a steel bridge as part of increasing capacity of Loch Raven Dam.|
|Warren Factory||Baltimore||MD-03-22x||Gunpowder Falls||Unk||1||Approx. 80'||Unk||1895||Warren. Lost in flood of 1895. Replaced with steel bridge.|
|North Branch||Baltimore & Carroll||MD-03-23x & MD-06-02x||North Branch Patapsco River||Unk||Unk||Unk||1854||1914||Liberty Road, before Liberty Reservoir and Dam were constructed. Lost in fire 1914.|
|Smith's or Patapsco at Elkridge Landing #1||Baltimore & Howard||MD-03-24 #1x & MD-13-07 #1x||Patapsco River||Unk||Unk||Unk||1817||1857||Elkridge, on Washington-Baltimore turnpike.|
|Smith's or Patapsco at Elkridge Landing #2||Baltimore & Howard||MD-03-24 #2x & MD-13-07 #2x||Patapsco River||Unk||Unk||Unk||1858||1873||Elkridge, on Washington-Baltimore turnpike. Scene of the murder of the toll keeper.|
|Baldwin's Mill #1||Baltimore & Harford||MD-03-25 #1x & MD-12-15 #1x||Little Gunpowder Falls||Unk||Unk||Unk||c1833||1874 or earlier||Between Baldwin in Baltimore County and Upper Crossroads in Harford County. Built for $500.|
|Baldwin's Mill #2||Baltimore & Harford||MD-03-25 #2x & MD-12-15 #2x||Little Gunpowder Falls||Burr arch||1||66'||1874-75||Unk||Between Baldwin in Baltimore County and Upper Crossroads in Harford County. Built for $500.|
|Reckord Mill or Harford Turnpike||Baltimore & Harford||MD-03-26x & MD-12-16x||Little Gunpowder Falls||Unk||Unk||Unk||1837||Unk||On Harford Road, above Fork. Built for $800.|
|Emory's Ford||Baltimore & Harford||MD-03-27x & MD-12-17x||Little Gunpowder Falls||Unk||Unk||40'||c1869||Unk||Jarrettsville Pike. Built for $700.|
|Frederick Turnpike||Baltimore||MD-03-28x||Gwynns Falls||Unk||1||Approx. 100'||1850 or earlier||1861||Just west of the old Baltimore City western boundary, east of Mount Olivet Cemetery. on Frederick Road. Replaced by iron bridge as part of construction of Catonsville Railway.|
|Wetheredsville #1||Baltimore||MD-03-29 #1x||Gwynns Falls||Unk||Unk||100'||1842-43||1868||Wetheredsville/Dickeyville. Forest Park Avenue at Wetheredsville Road. Lost in 1868 freshet.|
|Wetheredsville #2||Baltimore||MD-03-29 #2x||Gwynns Falls||Unk||Unk||about 100'||c1868||1910||Wetheredsville/Dickeyville. Forest Park Avenue at Wetheredsville Road.|
|Windsor Mill Road||Baltimore||MD-03-30x||Gwynns Falls||Unk||Unk||Unk||Unk||c1916||Approximate location, near Windsor Hills. Replaced around 1916.|
|Swan's||Baltimore & Harford||MD-03-31x & MD-12-37x||Little Gunpowder Falls||Unk||1||45'||c1831||Unk||Approximate location, Kingsville.|
|Guyton's Mill||Baltimore & Harford||MD-03-32x & MD-12-38x||Little Gunpowder Falls||Unk||Unk||Unk||1871||1885||On Bottom Road, near Guyton Road, Laurel Brook.|
|Gunpowder Falls||Baltimore||MD-03-33x||Gunpowder Falls||Unk||1||Unk||Unk||early 1900s||On Belair Road, between Perry Hall and Kingsville.|
|Hooper||Baltimore||MD-03-34x||Western Run||Unk||Unk||Unk||Unk||after 1897||On Pimlico Road/Greenspring Avenue, near Cross Country Boulevard.|
|Pleasant Valley||Baltimore||MD-03-35x||Gunpowder Falls||Unk||Unk||Unk||1856||c1900||About 1 mile north of Monkton. Road where bridge was located no longer exists.|
|B & S Railroad Jones Falls Lower or Main Branch||Baltimore||MD-03-37x||Jones Falls||Long||1||97||1832||1854-1858||Just northeast of Falls Road and Hollins Lane at Lake Roland.|
|B & S Railroad Jones Falls Middle or Bridge 1.19||Baltimore||MD-03-38x||Jones Falls||Long||1||70||1832||1854-1861||Located on the Red Trail in Lake Roland/Robert E. Lee Park.|
|B & S Railroad Jones Falls Upper or Rockland or Bridge 2.29||Baltimore||MD-03-39x||Jones Falls||Long||1||67||1832||1854-1861||Just east of intersection of Falls Road and Old Court Road northwest of Lake Roland/Robert E. Lee Park.|
|Bridgeport||Carroll & Frederick||MD-06-01x & MD-10-12x||Monocacy River||Unk||2||234'||1849||1932||Bridgeport. Replaced by concrete bridge.|
|Elk Mills or Baldwin's Mill||Cecil||MD-07-03x||Big Elk Creek||Unk||1||100'||c1845||1884||Elk Mills, north of Elkton, east of Cherry Hill. Replaced by iron bridge.|
|Delaware Avenue or Vinsinger's or Mitchell's Mill||Cecil||MD-07-04x||Big Elk Creek||Burr||1||85'||1865||1922-1927||Elkton, built by Jos. G. Johnson for $3,460.|
|Foster's or Old Foster's||Cecil||MD-07-05x||Little Elk Creek||Queenpost||1||48'||1860s||1950||Just south of Maryland state line on Blake Road.|
|MacKall's Mill||Cecil||MD-07-06x||Little Elk Creek||Burr||1||80'||1857||Unk||Northwest of Elkton. Built by John Finley for $1,525.|
|Parks Rolling Mill or Smith and Parks Fording||Cecil||MD-07-07x||Big Elk Creek||Burr Double Arch||1||109'||1874||1953||Approximate location .85 mile southwest of Cowentown. Collapsed from weight of snow, November 6-7, 1953.|
|Scott's||Cecil||MD-07-08x||Big Elk Creek||Burr||1||71'||1855||1946||Bridge and mill remnants located approximately .7 mile west of Cowentown on Fair Hill Natural Resources Management Area trail off Gallaher Road. Collapsed mid 1946.|
|Kirk's or Old Kirk's||Cecil||MD-07-09x||Little Northeast Creek||Queenpost||1||34'||1857||About 1948||Blue Ball. Replaced with concrete bridge.|
|Reynolds||Cecil||MD-07-10x||Little Northeast Creek||Queenpost||1||29'6"||1860||About 1949||Blue Ball. Replaced with concrete bridge.|
|Stony Run||Cecil||MD-07-11x||Stony Run||Burr||1||45'||1857||c1931||Half mile west of North East. Built by John Finley for $890. Replaced with a concrete bridge.|
|Mechanics Valley||Cecil||MD-07-12x||Northeast Creek||Unk||Unk||Unk||1832||1887||Mechanics Valley. Built by Samuel J. England. Lost by flood. Replaced by an iron bridge.|
|Porters||Cecil||MD-07-13x||Octoraro Creek||Unk||1||approx 121'||c1858||1884||Richardsmere. Replaced with wrought iron bridge with wood decking.|
|Conowingo #1||Cecil & Harford||MD-07-14 #1x & MD-12-08 #1x||Susquehanna River||Unk||10||1,744'||1820||1846||Near Castleton in Harford County and Mount Zoar in Cecil County. Lost in flood of 1846. Rebuilt in 1859.|
|Conowingo #2||Cecil & Harford||MD-07-14 #2x & MD-12-08 #2x||Susquehanna River||Burr||10||1,744'||1859||1927||Near Castleton in Harford County and Mount Zoar in Cecil County. Damaged by floods in 1865 and 1904, by fire in 1907. Dismantled and destroyed in 1927.|
|Port Deposit or Rock Run||Cecil & Harford||MD-07-15x & MD-12-09x||Susquehanna River||Burr||18||4,170'||1818||1857||Near Rock Run in Harford County and Port Deposit in Cecil County. Damaged by fire in 1823 and 1828, by cattle stampede in 1854. Destroyed by ice gorge in 1857.|
|McCullough Mills||Cecil||MD-07-16x||Little Northeast Creek||Burr||1||75'||1873||1884||North of North East. Built by T.V. Rose for $2,375.|
|Principio Furnace or Principio Creek||Cecil||MD-07-17 #1x||Principio Creek||Unk||1||80'||c1841||1867||East of Perryville. Replaced by 2nd covered bridge in 1867.|
|Principio Furnace or Principio Creek||Cecil||MD-07-17 #2x||Principio Creek||Howe||1||80'||1867||Unk||East of Perryville. Remains of Principio Iron Works still exist. Built by Jos. Johnson for $3,000.|
|Red Mill||Cecil||MD-07-18x||Little Elk Creek||Howe with Burr Arch||1||110'||1860||After 1898||Between Elkton and North East. Replaced with a concrete bridge.|
|Rowlandsville or Octoraro Creek||Cecil||MD-07-19x||Octoraro Creek||Unk||Unk||120'||1830||1884||Rowlandsville. Lost in rainstorm. Replaced with iron bridge.|
|Stone Run or Haines' Mill||Cecil||MD-07-20x||Stone Run||Unk||1||38'||1865||Unk||Rising Sun. Built by Dominick McHugh for $995.|
|Warburton Mill||Cecil||MD-07-21x||Little Northeast Creek||Queenpost||1||42'||1866||1898||Northeast of Bay View. Built by James T. Simpson for $1,695.|
|Main Street||Cecil||MD-07-22x||Little Northeast Creek||Unk||Unk||110'||1856||After 1901||North East. Built by Ferdinand Wood for $2,370.|
|Bridge Street||Cecil||MD-07-23x||Big Elk Creek||Unk||Unk||Unk||Unk||1870||Elkton. Cost about $5,000. Lost in fire, November 14, 1870.|
|Gilpin's Ford or Newark Road||Cecil||MD-07-24x||Big Elk Creek||Unk||1||85'||1853||After 1884||A little northeast of Elkton. Survived flood of June 1884.|
|Rock||Cecil||MD-07-25x||Little Elk Creek||Unk||Unk||Unk||Before 1857||1884||West of Fairhill, near historical Rock United Presbyterian Church on Rock Church Road. Lost in flood of 1884.|
|Plum Creek||Cecil||MD-07-26x||Plum Creek||Howe||Unk||85'||1867||Unk||Between Elk Neck & Elkton. Built for $3,350.|
|Loys Sation #1||Frederick||MD-10-03 #1x||Owens Creek||MKP||2||90'||1848||1991||Loys, near Rocky Ridge.Arsoned in 1991.|
|Catoctin Creek||Frederick||MD-10-07 #1x||Catoctin Creek||Burr||1||90'||1815||1862||1 mile west of Middletown on National Pike.|
|Catoctin Creek||Frederick||MD-10-07 #2x||Catoctin Creek||Burr||1||90'||1864||1923||1 mile west of Middletown on National Pike. Used abutments of 1815 bridge.|
|Point of Rocks over Canal or Canal Road. No longer considered a covered bridge||Frederick||MD-10-08x||Chesapeake & Ohio Canal||Burr||2||Unk||Unk||Unk||Point of Rocks over Chesapeake & Ohio Canal.|
|Monocacy||Frederick||MD-10-09x||Monocacy River||Unk||2||approx 250'||1830||1864||Frederick Junction. Burned by Union troops in Battle of Monocacy, July 9, 1864.|
|at Berlin/Brunswick||Frederick & Loudoun (VA)||MD-10-10x & VA-53-01x||Potomac River||Howe||9||approx 1,568'||1857||1861||Brunswick. Burned by Confederate troops in 1861. Also known as Berlin Bridge.|
|at Point of Rocks||Frederick & Loudoun (VA)||MD-10-11x & VA-53-02x||Potomac River||Unk||9||approx 1,056'||c1850s||1861||Point of Rocks. Burned by Confederate troops in 1861. Also known as Leesburg Bridge.|
|Spruce Run Road||Frederick||MD-10-13 #1x||Middle Creek||Unk||1||Unk||1851||1889||Between Wolfville and Middlepoint. Replaced with another covered bridge.|
|Spruce Run Road||Frederick||MD-10-13 #2x||Middle Creek||Unk||1||Unk||1889||1892||Between Wolfville and Middlepoint. Replaced with another covered bridge.|
|Spruce Run Road||Frederick||MD-10-13 #3x||Middle Creek||Unk||1||Unk||1892||1934||Between Wolfville and Middlepoint. Replaced with concrete bridge.|
|Ballenger Creek or Buckeystown Pike||Frederick||MD-10-14x||Ballenger Creek||Unk||1||75'||Unk||1926||Near Buckeystown, south of Frederick.|
|Middletown||Frederick||MD-10-15x||Catoctin Creek||Burr||1||83'||1809?/1868||1938||.6 mile SW of Middletown.|
|Jefferson||Frederick||MD-10-16x||Catoctin Creek||Burr||2||Unk||Unk||1928-30||1.5 miles west of Jefferson on Jefferson Pike.|
|Monocacy Railroad||Frederick||MD-10-17x||Monocacy River||Unk||3||350'||1831||1854||Frederick Junction. Baltimore & Ohio Railroad main stem. Burned down March 17, 1854. Built by Lewis Wernwag for $18,000. Replaced by Bollman iron bridge.|
|Toll Gate Hill or Emmitsburg Road||Frederick||MD-10-18x||Toms Creek||Burr||1||Approx. 80'||Unk||1923||South of Emmitsburg. Replaced in 1923 by a concrete bridge.|
|Boyer's Mill||Frederick||MD-10-19x||Linganore Creek||Unk||Unk||Approx. 100'||c1860||1930||On Boyer Mill Road, west of New Market. Replaced in 1930 by a iron bridge.|
|Frederick-Liberty Turnpike||Frederick||MD-10-20x||Monocacy River||Unk||Unk||320'||1832||1889||On Liberty Road, Route 26, east of Frederick. Lost in the Johnstown Flood of 1889.|
|Cramers or Israel's Creek||Frederick||MD-10-21x||Israel's Creek||Unk||Unk||Unk||Unk||Unk||On Liberty Road, Route 26, east of Monocacy River crossing.|
|at Gorman-Gormania Road||Garrett||MD-11-01x||North Branch Potomac River||Unk||Unk||Unk||1837||1863||Gorman-Gormania. Destroyed by Confederate troops April 26, 1863.|
|at Youghiogheny River or Fink's Suspension||Garrett||MD-11-02x||Youghiogheny River||Unk||1||180'||1851||1863||Near Oakland. B&O Railroad bridge. Destroyed by Confederate troops April 26, 1863.|
|Casselman or Casselman River||Garrett||MD-11-03x||Casselman River||Unk||1||Unk||Unk||Unk||At Casselman, south of Grantsville.|
|Macton or Broad Creek||Harford||MD-12-03x||Broad Creek||Unk||1||39'||Unk||About late 1940s||Macton, near Dublin.|
|Hookers Mill or Bynum Run||Harford||MD-12-04x||Bynum Run||Queenpost||1||70'||1860||1955||Abingdon. Cost $600. Arsoned July 8, 1955.|
|Red||Harford||MD-12-05x||Deer Creek||Unk||1||67'||Unk||About 1949||Approximate location. Near Eden's Mill.|
|Winters Run||Harford||MD-12-06x||Winters Run||Burr||1||Unk||Unk||1927||Van Bibber. Replaced by a concrete bridge in 1927.|
|Wilson's Mill #1||Harford||MD-12-10 #1x||Deer Creek||Unk||1||Unk||c1830s||1865||Approximate location. Near Darlington, lost in flood of 1865.|
|Wilson's Mill #2||Harford||MD-12-10 #2x||Deer Creek||Unk||1||Approx 80'||1868||1934||Near Darlington. Bypassed in 1931. Lost in flood of 1934.|
|Smith's||Harford||MD-12-11x||Deer Creek||Queenpost||1||Unk||1846-47||About early 1940s||South of Ady, on the road to Hickory.|
|at Ivory Mill||Harford||MD-12-12x||Deer Creek||Unk||1||Approx 50'||Unk||c1948||Two miles south of Norrisville. Abutments still remain.|
|Canal at Rock Run||Harford||MD-12-13x||Tidewater Canal||Unk||1||Unk||c1838||Unk||Rock Run, over canal.|
|Canal at Conowingo||Harford||MD-12-14x||Tidewater Canal||Unk||1||Unk||c1838||Unk||Conowingo, over canal.|
|Fife's Mill||Harford||MD-12-18x||Deer Creek||Unk||Unk||Unk||Unk||Unk||Fife's Mill, over Deer Creek, near Rocks State Park at Madonna, Carea & Telegraph Roads.|
|Preston's Mill||Harford||MD-12-19x||Deer Creek||Unk||Unk||Unk||Unk||Unk||Preston's Mill, over Deer Creek, near Rocks State Park at Rocks Road & Cherry Hill Road.|
|Deer Creek or Husband's or Old Forge||Harford||MD-12-20x||Deer Creek||Unk||Unk||Unk||Unk||late 1940s||Near Husband's Mill, over Deer Creek, bypassed approximately 1911, lost in late 1940s.|
|Old Red or Broad Creek or Flintville||Harford||MD-12-21x||Broad Creek||Burr||1||Unk||Unk||approx. 1924||Just north of Castleton, on Flintville Road. Removed as part of Conowingo Dam and Lake project approximately 1924.|
|Swansbury Mill||Harford||MD-12-22x||Swan Creek||Unk||Unk||Unk||c1867||1910||Just south of the town of Swan Creek, on Old Post Road. Replaced by concrete bridge in 1910.|
|Wiley's Upper Mill||Harford||MD-12-23x||Deer Creek||Unk||Unk||Unk||1846||Unk||North of Dry Branch, on Jolly Acres Road, just east of Baltimore-Harford line. Built for $300.|
|Clark's Ford||Harford||MD-12-24x||Deer Creek||Unk||Unk||Unk||1833||1885 or earlier||South of Cherry Hill, on Grier Nursery Road. Built for $600.|
|Bush||Harford||MD-12-25x||Bynum Run||Unk||Unk||Unk||c1838||Unk||Just south of Bush, on Philadelphia Road. Built for $650.|
|La Grange Iron Works or Rocks Road||Harford||MD-12-26x||Deer Creek||Unk||Unk||Approx 75'||1847||1871 or earlier||Eastern section of Rocks State Park, on Rocks Road. Replaced by iron bridge 1871.|
|Stafford Mills||Harford||MD-12-27x||Deer Creek||Unk||2||Approx 120'||1867||1875||West of Rock Run. Lost during ice gorge of 1875. Replaced by iron bridge.|
|Pylesville or Pyle's Mill||Harford||MD-12-28x||Broad Creek||Unk||1||45'||1866||1885||North central area of Harford County, at Pylesville.|
|Cox's Mill||Harford||MD-12-NNx||Broad Creek||Unk||Unk||Unk||1838-39||Unk||South of Macton on Whiteford Road.|
|Grays Run||Harford||MD-12-29x||Grays Run||Unk||1||30'||c1828||Unk||On Old Post Road (Old Philadelphia Road, Route 7) north of Belcamp & Perryman. Click on aerial view in mapquest.|
|Ring Factory||Harford||MD-12-30x||Winters Run||Burr arch||1||65'||1868-69||1885||Approximate location was on original Ring Factory Road west of Emmorton. Property is now part of Aberdeen Proving Ground.|
|Lower Cross Roads||Harford||MD-12-31x||Bynam Run||Unk||1||30'||c1830s||Unk||Approximate location. On what is now Churchville Road, near John Carroll School, southwest of Fountain Green.|
|Rutledge's Ford||Harford||MD-12-32x||Deer Creek||Unk||Unk||Unk||1839-40||Before 1885||Location is approximate. Crossed Deer Creek on Federal Hill Road, south of Old Eden's Mill.|
|St. Clair's Ford||Harford||MD-12-33x||Deer Creek||Unk||Unk||Unk||1839-40||Before 1885||Location is approximate. Crossed Deer Creek not far from the location of the old Clermont Mill, northwest of Rocks.|
|Long Branch Run or Spesutia Church||Harford||MD-12-34x||Deer Creek||Unk||1||42'||1832||After 1923||Located on what is now a part of Aberdeen Proving Ground.|
|Watters Mill||Harford||MD-12-35x||Winters Run||Unk||Unk||Unk||1838-39||1910||On Edgewood Road near Van Bibber. Replaced by a concrete bridge in 1910.|
|Priestford or Priest Ford||Harford||MD-12-36x||Deer Creek||Burr||1||96'||1863||1885 or earlier||Crossed Deer Creek on Priestford Road (Route 136) about 3 miles north of Churchville.|
|Harpers Ferry||Washington & Jefferson (WV)||MD-21-01x & WV-19-01x||Potomac River & C&O Canal||Unk||8||Approx 1,051'||1837 & 1842||1861||Maryland Heights. Blown up by Confederate troops, June 14,1861. Also known as B&O Railroad bridge.|
|at Shepherdstown #1||Washington & Jefferson (WV)||MD-21-02 #1x & WV-19-03 #1x||Potomac River||Unk||Unk||600'||1850||1861||Shepherdstown, WV, not far from Sharpsburg, MD. Destroyed by Confederate troops in 1861.|
|at Shepherdstown #2||Washington & Jefferson (WV)||MD-21-02 #2x & WV-19-03 #2x||Potomac River||Unk||Unk||600'||1871||1889||Shepherdstown, WV, not far from Sharpsburg, MD. Lost in flood on 1889.|
|Wager's||Washington & Jefferson (WV)||MD-21-03x & WV-19-04x||Potomac River||Unk||4||Approx 800'||1824||1839||Maryland Heights. Dismantled by B&O Railroad.|
|Old Hagerstown Road No longer considered a covered bridge||Washington||MD-21-04x||Conococheague Creek||Unk||Unk||Unk||Unk||Unk||North of Hagerstown between Welsh Run and Cearfoss Cross Roads.|
|Little Tonoloway Creek||Washington||MD-21-05x||Little Tonoloway Creek||Unk||1||Unk||Unk||Unk||(Approximate location) west of Hancock.|
|Snook's Creek||Washington||MD-21-06x||Snook's Creek||Burr||1||Unk||Unk||c1928||(Approximate location) .7 mile south of intersection of Route 34 and Alt US40 in Boonsboro.|
|Keedysville||Washington||MD-21-07x||Antietam Creek||Unk||Unk||Unk||Unk||1889||On Keedsyville Road, west of Keedysville. Lost in Johnstown Flood of 1889.|
07/16/2015. Complete rewrite pertaining to the locations and sizes of the three Baltimore & Susquehanna Railroad Bridges over the Jones Fall, MD-03-37x, MD-03-38x, MD-03-39x.
07/16/2015. Bill Caswell of Covered Spans of Yesteryear has assigned more numbers for Maryland's Bygone Covered Bridges. The following bridges have new numbers assigned: Pleasant Valley MD-03-35x; Jones Falls Lower MD-03-37x; Jones Falls Middle MD-03-38x; Jones Falls Upper MD-03-39x; Frederick-Liberty Turnpike MD-10-20x; Cramers/Israel's Creek MD-10-21x; Keedysville MD-21-07x.
06/15/2015. Early 1940s photos added for Reynolds Bridge MD-07-10.
02/27/2015. Information changed concerning the photo shown as Old Hagerstown Bridge, MD-21-04x, and the actual existance of the bridge. We now believe there was never an authentic covered bridge at this location. Please see note on page for this bridge. The posting for this bridge will be removed in due time.
01/09/2014. Information added from the 1831 B&O Annual Report for Monocacy Railroad Bridge, MD-10-17x
01/09/2014. Information added about lengths of spans, when Canal Bridge was lost along with detail from the B&O Annual Reports for Harpers Ferry Bridge, MD-21-01x & WV-19-01x.
01/05/2014. Information added about B&O consideration to build a tunnel instead of a bridge at the Washington Road crossing as well as new information about the length and cost to build the bridge and new lost date for the bridge, Jackson Bridge, MD-03-12x.
01/02/2014. Information added from the B&O Railroad Annual Report of 1833 referencing D.A. Smith's Bridge, MD-03-24 #1x & MD-13-07 #1x.
01/02/2014. Information added from various B&O Railroad Annual Reports referencing the dates the bridges were replaced and lengths of the Elysville bridges, MD-03-13x & MD-13-04x and MD-03-10x & MD-13-05x.
01/02/2014. Additional information changing build date, confirming length and number of spans, confirmation the bridge was covered based on Annual Reports for C&O Canal Bridge at North Branch, MD-01-02x.
01/02/2014. Additional information changing build date and lost date, confirming length and number of spans, and replacing the bridge based on B & O Annual Reports for North Branch Bridge over the Potomac River Bridge, MD-01-04x & WV-29-01x.
01/02/2014. Additional information confirming build date, length, spans, and rebuilding the bridge after it was destroyed in the Civil War based on B & O Annual Reports for Youghiogheny River Bridge, MD-11-02x. Detailed information about the burning of the bridge and additional name of bridge added.
01/01/2014. Additional information confirming build date, length, spans, and rebuilding the bridge after it was destroyed in the Civil War based on B & O Annual Reports for McCoole Bridge, MD-01-05x & WV-29-02x.
12/14/2013. Three Bygone Bridges added for Baltimore City/County; B & S Railroad Jones Falls Lower Bridge, MD-03-NNx, B & S Railroad Jones Falls Middle Bridge, MD-03-NNx, and B & S Railroad Jones Falls Upper Bridge, MD-03-NNx.
11/06/2013. Additional information verifying the date Wetheredsville Bridge MD-03-29 #1x was lost.
10/17/2013. One Bygone Bridge added for Baltimore County: Pleasant Valley Bridge, MD-03-NNx.
08/30/2013. Information through 1898 article including some specifications for the bridge and map added for Paper Mill Bridge, MD-03-21x.
08/28/2013. Contract information and completion date for Bunker Hill Bridge #1, MD-03-01 #1x confirmed.
07/30/2013. Bill Caswell of Covered Spans of Yesteryear has assigned more numbers for Maryland's Bygone Covered Bridges. The following bridges have new numbers assigned: Gunpowder Falls MD-03-33x; Hooper MD-03-34x; Toll Gate Hill/Emmitsburg Road MD-10-18x; Boyer's Mill MD-10-19x; Casselman River MD-11-03x; Snook's Creek MD-21-06x.
06/11/2013. Two Bygone Bridges added for Frederick County: Frederick to Liberty Turnpike Bridge, MD-10-NNx, Cramers / Israel's Creek, MD-10-NNx. One Bygone Bridge added for Washington County: Keedysville Bridge, MD-21-NNx.
06/11/2013. Information added from newspapers article for Boyers Mill Bridge MD-10-NNx indicating the possibility that two bridges may have existed at this location.
06/11/2013. Build date changed from 1850 to c1870s for MD-01-01 Wiley Ford Bridge. First bridge in 1850 was a permanent deck bridge, uncovered.
06/11/2013. Build date changed from 1850 to c1870s for MD-01-06 Oldtown Bridge. First bridge in 1850 was a pivot bridge.
06/08/2013. Removed Point of Rocks Over Canal or Canal Road Covered Bridge, MD-10-08 from list of authentic covered bridges in Maryland. Please see note on page for this bridge. The posting for this bridge will be removed in due time.
05/19/2013. Article from 1923 details the history of the frist bridge at this location built in 1815, lost 1862 and the second bridge, built 1864 and lost 1923, MD-10-07 #1x and #2x Catoctin Creek Bridge.
05/18/2013. Detailed ad to bridge builders providing dimensions for MD-03-07x Forges Bridge.
05/17/2013. Complete revision for MD-10-13x Spruce Run Road Bridge. Based on new articles, the first bridge was lost 1889, hastily rebuilt in a month, then completely rebuilt again in 1892, giving us three bridges at this location.
05/16/2013. Confirmation of contract to build the bridge in 1824 provided through a newspaper article for MD-21-03x / WV-19-04x Wager's Bridge.
05/16/2013. Additional information providing conflicting dates about when the bridge was built and confirmation for when the bridge was lost for MD-10-15x Middletown Bridge. Strong possibility there were two bridges at this site.
05/15/2013. Additional information detailing specifications for MD-10-17x Monocacy Railroad Bridge. Date bridge was built changed to 1831, length of bridge changed to 350 feet.
05/13/2013. Added information about the construction of the bridge to replace the covered bridge in 1926 for Ballenger Creek Bridge MD-10-14x and a new lost date changed from 1930 to 1926.
05/13/2013. Added information about the construction of the bridge to replace the covered bridge in 1928 for Jefferson Bridge MD-10-16x and a new lost date changed from 1930 to 1928-30.
05/13/2013. Added information about the completion of the concrete bridge in 1925 for Bridgeport MD-06-01x / MD-10-12x.
05/12/2013. Added informaton confirming date bridge was replaced with a concrete structure Toll Gate Hill / Emmitsburg Road Bridge MD-10-NNx.
05/10/2013. Information added for when bridge was lost for Gunpowder Falls Bridge MD-03-NNx.
04/15/2013. Additional information about the build date and demise of Folck's Mill Bridge MD-01-07x.
01/05/2013. Name of bridge changed to Emmitsburg Road / Toll Gate Hill Bridge MD-10-NNx.
12/22/2012. Additional information about the mill and dam in the early 1800s before Belvidere Bridge MD-03-16x was built, for newspaper bid proposal article in 1818, for lithograph of area in 1869, for newspaper article in 1887 about building a new trestle bridge at Belvidere Bridge location, and changing the length of the bridge from 190' to 175'-190'.
10/15/2012. Additional information under photo and a better photo showing Rock Bridge MD-07-25x.
10/02/2012. Additional information about a second bridge at Boyer's Mill MD-10-NNx.
08/27/2012. Two Bygone Bridges added, one for Washington County, Snook's Creek Bridge MD-21-NNx, and one for Frederick County, Boyer's Mill Bridge, MD-10-NNx.
04/14/2012. Three Bygone Bridges added, two for Baltimore County, Gunpowder Falls Bridge MD-03-NNx, and Hooper Bridge MD-03-NNx and one for Garrett County, Casselman River Bridge MD-11-NNx.
04/14/2012. Truss type for Smith's Bridge MD-12-11x changed from Burr arch to Queenpost.
02/24/2012. Two new photos of Delaware Avenue/Vinsinger's Mill MD-07-04x.
02/24/2012. Two new photos of Paper Mill MD-03-21x. New information about length of bridge and location.
11/07/2011. Bill Caswell of Covered Spans of Yesteryear has assigned more numbers for Maryland's Bygone Covered Bridges. The following bridges have new numbers assigned: Stafford MD-12-27x; Pylesville/Pyle's Mill MD-12-28x; Grays Run MD-12-29x; Ring Factory MD-12-30x #1x; Lower Cross Roads MD-12-31x; Rutledge's Ford MD-12-32; St. Clair's Ford MD-12-32x; Long Branch Run/Spesutia Church MD-12-34x; Watters Mill MD-12-35x; Priestford MD-12-36x; Swan's MD-03-31x & MD-12-37x; Guyton's Mill MD-03-32x & MD-12-38x; Little Tonoloway Creek MD-21-05x.
09/19/2011. Additional information about the location of MD-01-06x Oldtown Bridge and the date the bridge was lost.
04/21/2011. Additional information about build date and length of Forge's Bridge MD-03-07x. Additional information about build date of Cromwell Bridge MD-03-05x. Additional information about replacing North Branch Bridge with concrete bridge MD-03-23x & MD-06-02x.
04/12/2011. Additional information about contract for building Guyton's Mill Bridge MD-03-NNx & MD-12-NNx. Built & lost dates revised.
04/12/2011. Additional information about photo of Forge's Bridge MD-03-07x.
04/08/2011. Photo added for Rock Bridge MD-07-25x.
04/08/2011. Updated for significant rewrite of the history of Smith's Bridge or Patapsco Bridge at Elkridge Landing MD-03-24 #2x / MD-13-07 #2x. First bridge at this site added MD-03-24 #1x / MD-13-07 #1x including an illustration of the bridge shown in the Baltimore Sun in 1934.
04-07-2011. Updated information about burning Meredith's Ford Bridge MD-03-19x and for confirmation of an iron bridge to replace the covered bridge.
04/07/2011. Updated information about the collapse of Belvidere Bridge MD-03-16x on March 10, 1819.
04/05/2011. Updated information about the timing for the closure of Belvidere Bridge MD-03-16x.
11/19/2010. One Bygone Bridge added for Washington County, Little Tonoloway Creek MD-21-NNx.
07/29/2010. One Bygone Bridge added for Baltimore & Howard County, Ellicott's Mills/City MD-03-09 #3x & MD-13-06 #3x. Built and lost dates changed with addition of third bridge at this location. More information provided in general about the bridges at Ellicott's Mills/Ellicott City.
07/28/2010 One Bygone Bridge added for Cecil County, Principio Furnace or Principio Creek MD-07-17 #1x. Original MD-07-17x changed to MD-07-17 #2x. Evidence found that first bridge at this location was also covered.
07/26/2010 One Bygone Bridge added for Harford County, Priestford or Priest Ford MD-12-NNx.
07/12/2010 Update for Patapsco at Elkridge Landing Bridge MD-03-24x/MD-13-07x; added more information about the bridges at this locaton, builder of covered bridge, date built, date lost.
06/28/2010 Update for Main Street Bridge MD-07-22x; added more information detailing the existence of the bridge
06/28/2010 Update for Newark Road Bridge MD-07-24x; added more common name of Gilpin's Ford Bridge, spans, length, build history and specifications. Also, for correction to location of bridge.
06/28/2010 Update for Reynolds Bridge MD-07-10x; added more detail about timing of bridge and specifications.
06/28/2010 Update for Parks Rolling Mill Bridge MD-07-07x; added photo gallery.
06/28/2010 Update for Rock Bridge MD-07-25x for Cecil Whig article.
06/28/2010 Update for Porter's Bridge MD-07-13x for date bridge was lost, 1884.
06/28/2010 Update for Elk Mills/Baldwin's Mills Bridge MD-07-03x for date bridge was lost, 1884, and length of bridge, 100 feet.
06/28/2010 Update for McCullough Mills Bridge MD-07-16x for date bridge was lost, 1884.
06/28/2010 Update for Rowlandsville Bridge MD-07-19x for additional information about the loss of the bridge in the flood of 1884 and correction to the length of the bridge.
06/28/2010 Update for Mechanics Vally Bridge MD-07-12x for additional information about the loss of the bridge in the 1887 flood.
06/28/2010 Update for Red Mill MD-07-18x for information about surviving the 1898 flood, and detailed build specifications.
06/28/2010 Update for Warburton Mill Bridge MD-07-21x for date lost, 1898.
06/28/2010 Two Bygone Bridges added. One for Harford County, Watters Mill MD-12-NNx. One for Frederick County, South Seton/Emmitsburg MD-10-NNx.
06/24/2010 Bill Caswell of Covered Spans of Yesteryear has assigned more numbers for Maryland's Bygone Covered Bridges. The following bridges have new numbers assigned: Oldtown MD-01-06x; Folck's Mill MD-01-07x; Frederick Turnpike MD-03-28x; Wetheredsville MD-03-29 #1x; Wetheredsville MD-03-29 #2x; Windsor Mill Road MD-03-30x; Plum Creek MD-07-26x.
04/22/2010 Eleven Bygone Bridges added. Nine for Harford County: Stafford Mills MD-12-NNx; Cox's Mill MD-12-NNx; Pylesville MD-12-NNx; Grays Run MD-12-NNx; Ring Factory MD-12-NNx; Lower Cross Roads MD-12-NNx; Rutledge's Ford MD-12-NNx; St. Clair's Ford MD-12-NNx; Long Branch Run MD-12-NNx. Two for Harford and Baltimore Counties: Swan's MD-03-NNx & MD-12-NNx; Guyton's Mill MD-03-NNx & MD-12-NNx.
04/22/2010 One Bygone Bridge added. Baldwin's Mill MD-03-25 #2x & MD-12-15 #2x. Informaton added about date lost for the first bridge at Baldwin's Mill MD-03-25x & MD-12-15x.
04/22/2010 Update for Clark's Ford Bridge MD-12-NNx for date lost.
04/22/2010 Update for Macton Bridge MD-12-03x for providing information about possible locations of Macton Bridge.
04/22/2010 Update for Belvidere Bridge, MD-03-16x for newspaper articles about Belvedere Bridge including an article by Wilbur F. Coyle detailing the bridge and surrounding property.
04/22/2010 Update for Folck's Mill Bridge, MD-01-NNx. Number of spans changed from 1 to 2 and photograph added.
03/06/2010 Updates for Shepherdstown Bridges, MD-21-02 #1x & #2x. Timeline information provided confirming build date, loss date, number of spans for Bridge #1 and additional information about loss of Bridge #2.
03/05/2010 Six Bygone Bridges added. Four for Allegany County: Oldtown MD-01-NNx; Folck's Mill MD-01-NNx; C&O Canal at North Branch MD-01-02x; North Branch or North Branch Potomac River MD-01-04x & WV-29-01x. One for Baltimore (City): Canton or Harris Creek MD-03-14x. One for Garrett County: Gorman-Gormania MD-11-01x & WV-12-01x.
02/25/2010 Bill Caswell of Covered Spans of Yesteryear has assigned more numbers for Maryland's Bygone Covered Bridges. The following bridges have new numbers assigned: Monkton MD-03-17; Patapsco at Elkridge Landing MD-03-24 & MD-13-07; Baldwin's Mill MD-03-25x & MD-12-15x; Reckord Mill / Harford Turnpike MD-03-26 & MD-12-16; Emory's Ford MD-03-27 & MD-12-17; Fife's Mill MD-12-18; Preston's Mill MD-12-19; Wiley's Upper Mill MD-12-23x; Clark's Ford MD-12-24x; Bush MD-12-25x.
02/26/2010 Significant information for McCoole MD-01-15x & WV-29-02x pertaining to confirmation of date built, adding date lost, additional names for bridge. Location slightly changed
02/25/2010 One Bygone Bridge added for Cecil County: Plum Creek MD-07-NNx.
02/25/2010 Bill Caswell of Covered Spans of Yesteryear has assigned more numbers for Maryland's Bygone Covered Bridges. The following bridges have new numbers assigned: Railroad Bridge South of Monkton MD-03-18x; Meredith Ford MD-03-19x; Phoenix Mills MD-03-20x; Paper Mill MD-03-21x; Warren Factory MD-03-22x; North Branch MD-03-23x & MD-06-02x; Main Street MD-07-22x; Bridge Street MD-07-23x; Newark Road MD-07-24x; Rock MD-07-25x; Monocacy Railroad MD-10-17x; Deer Creek / Husband's / Old Forge MD-12-20x; Old Red / Broad Creek / Flintville MD-12-21x; Swansbury Mill MD-12-22x; LaGrange Iron Works / Rocks Road MD-12-26x.
02/21/2010 One Bygone Bridges added for Baltimore County: Windsor Mill Road MD-03-NNx.
02/20/2010 Three Bygone Bridges added for Baltimore County: Wetheredsville #1 & #2 MD-03-NNx #1 & MD-03-NNx #2; Frederick Turnpike MD-03-NNx.
02/09/2010 Four Bygone Bridges added for Cecil County: Rock MD-07-NNx; Bridge Street MD-07-NNx; Newark Road MD-07-NNx; Main Street MD-07-NNx.
02/06/2010 Updates for five Cecil County bridges: Delaware Ave / Vinsinger's Mill / Mitchell's Mill, MD-07-04x with newspaper articles, map information and improved photograph; Scott's Mill, MD-07-08x for information from Maryland Session Laws and articles from the Baltimore Sun. Build date confirmed as 1855; Reynold's, MD-07-10x for information from Cecil Democrat and Cecil County Commissioners Minutes of 1860. Year of build confirmed; Foster's, MD-07-05x for information from Cecil County Roads Commissioners Minutes of 1868 confirming length, cost and build date; Parks Rolling Mill / Smith & Parks Fording, MD-07-07x for information from Cecil County Road Commissioners Minutes detailing bridge name, truss, cost, contractor and build date. Update for one Harford County Bridge: Smith's, MD-12-11x for information from Maryland Session Laws. Build date more defined; truss determined from photograph to be a Burr arch.
01/29/2010 Six Bygone Bridges added. One for Baltimore and Harford counties: Emory's Ford MD-03-NNx & MD-12-NNx. Five for Harford County: Swansbury Mills MD-12-NNx; Clark's Ford MD-12-NNx; Wiley's Upper Mill MD-12-NNx; Bush MD-12-NNx; La Grange Iron Works or Rocks Road MD-12-NNx.
01/22/2010 Seven Bygone Bridges added. One for Baltimore & Carroll counties: North Branch MD-03-NNx and MD-06-NNx. Two for Baltimore & Harford counties: Baldwin's Mill MD-03-NNx & MD-12-NNx; Reckord Mill/Harford Turnpike MD-03-NNx & MD-12-NNx. Three for Baltimore County: Meredith's Ford MD-03-NNx; Monkton Mills MD-03-NNx; NCRR Bridge south of Monkton MD-03-NNx. One for Cecil County: Mechanics Valley MD-07-12x.
01/22/2010 Updates to information and photos of Deer Creek / Husband's / Old Forge Bridge MD-12-NNx. Updates to information and confirmation on dates built, lost and length of Rowlandsville Bridge, Cecil County, MD-07-19x. Updates to photos of remaining abutments at Porter's Bridge, Cecil County MD-07-13x.
12/07/2009 One Bygone Bridge added for Frederick County: Monocacy Railroad MD-10-NNx. Revisions to text for Monocacy MD-10-09x.
10/10/2009 One Bygone Bridge added for Harford County: Old Red or Broad Creek or Flintville MD-12-NNx.
09/29/2009 Two Bygone Bridges added. One for Baltimore and Howard Counties: Patapsco at Elkridge Landing MD-03-NNx and MD-13-NNx. One for Frederick County: Loys Station #1 MD-10-03 #1x.
08/21/2009 Three Bygone Bridges added for Baltimore County: Phoenix Mills MD-03-NNx; Paper Mill MD-03-NNx; Warren Factory MD-03-NNx.
07/31/2009 Three Bygone Bridges added for Harford County: Fife's Mill MD-12-NNx; Preston's Mill MD-12-NNx; Deer Creek or Husband's Mill or Old Forge MD-12-NNx.
07/04/2009 Bill Caswell of Covered Spans of Yesteryear has assigned more numbers or changed numbers for Maryland's Bygone Covered Bridges. The following bridges have numbers added or changed: McCullough Mills MD-07-NNx is now MD-07-16x; Principio Furnace or Principio Creek MD-07-NNx is now MD-07-17x; Red Mill MD-07-NNx is now MD-07-18x; Rowlandsville or Octoraro Creek MD-07-NNx is now MD-07-19x; Stone Run or Haines' Mill MD-07-NNx is now MD-07-20x; Warburton Mill MD-07-NNx is now MD-07-21x.
03/12/2009 Two Bygone Bridge added for Cecil County: Delaware Avenue or Vinsinger's or Mitchell's Mill MD-07-04x; Stone Run or Haines' Mill MD-07-NNx.
02/18/2009 Eight Bygone Bridges added for Cecil County: Elk Mills or Baldwin's Mill MD-07-03x; MacKall's Mill MD-07-06x; Stony Run MD-07-11x; Rowlandsville or Octoraro Creek MD-07-NNx; Red Mill MD-07-NNx; Principio Furnace or Principio Creek MD-07-NNx; McCullough Mill MD-07-NNx; Warburton Mill MD-07-NNx. Porters MD-07-13x added illustration from 1877.
02/15/2009 Bill Caswell of Covered Spans of Yesteryear has assigned more numbers or changed numbers for Maryland's Bygone Covered Bridges as of 2/15/2009. The following bridges have numbers added or changed: Belvidere MD-03-03x changed to MD-03-16x; at Ellicott Mills/City #1 MD-03-09 #1x & MD-13-01 #1x changed to MD-03-09 #1x & MD-13-06 #1x; at Ellicott Mills/City #2 MD-03-09 #2x & MD-13-01 #3x changed to MD-03-09 #2x & MD-13-06 #2x; at Patapsco Mill MD-03-NNx & MD-13-NNx is now MD-03-11x & MD-13-03x; Elysville Lower MD-03-13x & MD-13-NNx is now MD-03-13x & MD-13-04x; Elysville Upper MD-03-NNx & MD-13-NNx is now MD-03-10x & MD-13-05x; Jerusalem MD-03-NNx & MD-12-NNx is now MD-03-15x & MD-12-07x; Bridgeport MD-06-01x & MD-10-NNx is now MD-06-01x & MD-10-12x; Conowingo MD-07-14 #1x & MD-12-NN #1x is now MD-07-14 #1x & MD-12-08 #1x; Conowingo #2 MD-07-14 #2x & MD-12-NN #2x is now MD-07-14 #2x & MD-12-08 #2x; Port Deposit/Rock Run MD-07-15x & MD-12-NNx is now MD-07-15x & MD-12-09x; Ballenger Creek or Buckeystown Pike MD-10-04x changed to MD-10-14x; Middletown MD-10-05x changed to MD-10-15x; Jefferson MD-10-06x changed to MD-10-16x; Spruce Run Road MD-10-NNx is now MD-10-13x; Wilson's Mill #1 MD-12-NN #1x is now MD-12-10 #1x; Wilson's Mill #2 MD-12-NN #2x is now MD-12-10 #2x; Smith's MD-12-NNx is now MD-12-11x; at Ivory Mill MD-12-NNx is now MD-12-12x; Canal at Rock Run MD-12-NNx is now MD-12-13x; Canal at Conowingo MD-12-NNx is now MD-12-14x; Wager's MD-21-NNx & WV-19-NNx is now MD-21-03x & WV-19-04x; Old Hagerstown Road MD-21-NNx is now MD-21-04x.
12/11/2008 Five Bygone Bridges added: Dogwood Road MD-03-06x; Macton or Broad Creek MD-12-03x; Spruce Run Road MD-10-NNx; Canal at Rock Run MD-12-NNx; Canal at Conowingo MD-12-NNx.
12/11/2008 Updates posted for revised text for Conowingo #1 MD-07-14 #1x; revise text for Conowingo #2 MD-07-14 #2x; revised text for Rock Run MD-07-15x; added photo for Franklintown MD-03-08x.
12/06/2008 Six Bygone Bridges added: Red MD-12-05x; Wilson's Mill MD-12-NN #1x; Wilson's Mill MD-12-NN #2x; Smith's MD-12-NNx; at Ivory Mill MD-12-NNx; Old Hagerstown Road MD-21-NNx.
12/06/2008 Updates posted for location of Parks Rolling Mill MD-07-07x; location, text & photo credit for Scotts MD-07-08x; length, gone date & photo credit for Kirk's MD-07-09x; photo credit for Conowingo MD-07-14 #2x; photo credit & text about year gone for Corbett Road MD-03-04x.
12/01/2008 Updates posted for photo text for Monocacy MD-10-09x, text and photo text for Point of Rocks over Canal MD-10-08x, build date & text added for Wiley Ford MD-01-01x.
11/05/2008 Updates posted for text for Kirk's MD-07-09x and text for Reynolds MD-07-10x.
10/29/2008 Ten Bygone Bridges added: Wiley Ford or Old Canal MD-01-01x; at McCoole MD-01-05x; Point of Rocks over Canal or Canal Road MD-10-08x; at Berlin/Brunswick MD-10-10x; at Point of Rocks MD-10-11x; at Youghiogheny River MD-11-02x; Harpers Ferry (& Maryland Heights) MD-21-01x; #1 at Shepherdstown (& Sharpsburg) MD-21-02 #1x; #2 at Shepherdstown (& Sharpsburg) MD-21-02 #2x; Wager's MD-21-NNx.
10/15/2008 Eight Bygone Bridges added: Belvidere/Jones Falls MD-03-03x; Corbett Road/Monkton MD-03-04x; at Ellicott Mills/City #1 MD-03-09 #1x; at Ellicott Mills/City #2 MD-03-09 #2x; at Patapsco Mill MD-03-NNx; Elysville Lower MD-03-13x; Elysville Upper MD-03-NNx; Winters Run MD-12-06x.
10/03/2008 Three Bygone Bridges added: Conowingo #1 MD-07-14 #1x; Conowingo #2 MD-07-14 #2x; Rock Run/Port Deposit MD-07-15x.
09/23/2008 Four Bygone Bridges added: Ballenger Creek/Buckeystown Pike MD-10-04x; Middletown MD-10-05x; Jefferson MD-10-06x; Catoctin Creek MD-10-07x.
09/20/2008 Six Bygone Bridges added: Monocacy MD-10-09x; Bridgeport MD-06-01x; Jerusalem MD-03-NNx; Bunker Hill #1 MD-03-01 #1x; Bunker Hill MD-03-01 #2x; Old Forge MD-03-07x.
09/13/2008 First ten Bygone Bridges: Cromwell MD-03-05x; Foster MD-07-05x; Hookers MD-12-04x; Jackson MD-03-12x; Kirk's MD-07-09x; Parks Rolling Mill MD-07-07x; Porters MD-07-13x; Reynolds MD-07-10x; Scotts MD-07-08x; Franklintown MD-03-08x.
Maryland Covered Bridges
Email me: Jim Smedley firstname.lastname@example.org