|Home||Existing Covered Bridges||Bygone Covered Bridges||Romantic Shelters||About Covered Bridges||Trusses||News||Links|
|County||World Guide #||Crosses||Built||Truss||Spans||Length||Coordinates||Location|
|Frederick||MD-10-03 #2||Owens Creek||1994||MKP||2||90'|| N39°36'31"
|Loys, near Rocky Ridge.At intersection of RT15 and RT77, take RT77/RT550 (W.Main Street) east for 1.2 miles to Rocky Ridge Road and bear left following RT77 (RT550 goes straight). Continue for 2.4 miles and turn right on Old Frederick Road to the bridge.|
Loys Station Covered Bridge is located near the small towns of Loys, Rocky Ridge and Graceham. It's the second covered bridge at this location. The first was arsoned in 1991. The original Loys Covered Bridge, built in 1848 by an unknown builder, crossed Owens Creek at a length of ninety feet. Around 1929-30 it was modified by adding a concrete pier and steel beams under the flooring to provide more support creating two 45 foot spans. At one time Western Maryland Railroad had a station stop at Loys, so the bridge became known as Loys Station Covered Bridge. The tracks still exist today. Of historical interest, it is believed that on July 7, 1863, after the battle at Gettsyburg, General George Meade crossed Loys Station Covered Bridge while pursuing the retreating Confederate Army.
On June 27, 1991 a pickup truck was set on fire while in the bridge as part of an insurance fraud scheme. The local community began raising money for bridge reconstruction by selling T-shirts, having record hop fundraisers and selling limited edition prints of the bridge by a local artist. The Frederick County Covered Bridge Preservation Society, led by Dean Fitzgerald who is also owner of Heavy Timber Construction, fought to have the bridge built to its original all wood structure. The Maryland Historical Trust, Frederick County officials argued the bridge should be built to its 1930s state when the steel beams and center pier were added for reinforcement. It took three long years before the rebuilding effort was completed. Although losing the battle to rebuild the bridge to historic authentication, it did include the use of original hardware, rafters and braces from the arsoned bridge. Reconstruction included interior lighting and fire-retardant materials. The total reconstruction cost was nearly $300,000. Much of the cost was paid for by Frederick County's Insurance company, who sought restitution from the two men eventually convicted of the arson and fraud crime. On June 7, 1994 a crane hoisted the trusses into place. On June 25th a celebration of the bridge rebuilding was held and on July 4, 1994 the bridge was officially opened to traffic
Loys Station Covered Bridge resides in a wonderful park that includes picnic tables, grills, playground, covered shelters and portable bathroom facitilies. The bridge is in well-maintained, excellent condition. Loys Station bridge was added to the National Register of Historic Places on June 23, 1978.
|Bridge Name: Loys Station||Length at Center: 89'-5"||Height to Peak: Approximately 20'-0" SE end; Approximately 19'-0" NW end|
|Alternate Name(s): Loys, Loy's, Loy's Station||Width Roadway: 12'-10" SE end; 12'-10" NW end||Maximum Height at Portal Entrance: Approximately 15'-0" SE end; Approximately 14'-0" NW end|
|Alignment: SE to NW||Width Portal Opening: 13'-2" SE end; 13'-2" NW end||Posted Height Restriction: 12'-6"|
|Distance Above Water (variable): 7'-3"||Width Outside Dimensions: 16'-3" SE end; 16'-4" NW end||Roof Overhang-Side: Approximately 0'-6" each side|
|Panels: 14 each side||Posted Weight Restriction: 30,000 lbs||Roof Overhang-Ends: None|
Maryland Covered Bridges
Email me: firstname.lastname@example.org